The Little Chapel
on the Hill
The Little Chapel on the Hill is the former First Presbyterian Church location. The church was organized in 1894. Construction of this building began in 1896. The building was designed by J.J. Walsh in a shingle style and was completed in 1899. It was home for our church until 1911. The building was then sold in 1915. In 1924, the Christian Scientist Church acquired it and held worship there for the next 74 years. In 1999, the building was purchased by Mrs. Wanda Bass, restored to its original state and then given back to the First Presbyterian Church in 2005.
The building is still owned by The First Presbyterian Church and often used for weddings and special events. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and is the only original church building in the area. It is located at: 101 E Washington Ave., McAlester, OK, just 2 blocks from the present First Presbyterian Church location.